Visa Categories

Study In Australia (Student Visas)

If you are planning to study in Australia you need a student visa. Student Visas are temporary visas that allows people to come to Australia during your visa period to study in Australian institutes

Two different process are involved in it: Enrolment in educational institution and having a student visa

We can enrol you in the universities, TAFE institutes, Private colleges of your choie as per your requirements but within our advice which can help you for your future migration. We do visa process for you so that you can come and study in Australian institutes. We can also advice and suggest you for your financial arrangements as per your student visa requirements.

Following are the some of the student subclass options that are available for interested overseas student.

From 01/07/2016, SSVF have come into effect for Australian Student Visas, the Australian Government released the Future directions for streamlined visa processingreport and announced the introduction of a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) to support Australia’s education services sector. More details can be found from this link here, Please click SSVF.

The following changes come into effect from 1st July 2016:

  • international students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
  • student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

Visa Subclass Name





Student Visa


You can apply for the following types of study on this visa:

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.


Current visa holders

If you hold a student visa with subclass numbers 570 to 576, your visa will remain valid and your visa conditions will not change after 1 July 2016.

After 1 July 2016, family members of Student visa holders (subclasses 570-576) will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they want to join a family member in Australia.

Course Packaging

Students can apply to undertake two or more courses on their Student (subclass 500) visa where there is clear progression from one course to another. This is known as course packaging. 

The final course that you will undertake as part of your package of courses is your main (or principal) course of study.  Your main course of study will be used to determine your financial and English language evidentiary requirements.

To be granted a visa for the full duration of the packaged courses, you must provide confirmation that you are enrolled in all of the courses. A student visa for the full package will only be granted if the duration of the package does not exceed the maximum visa grant period.

Employer Sponsored Visas

Employer sponsored visas allow businesses in Australia and overseas to sponsor skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills in particular occupations required in Australia.

Eligible employers who wish to sponsor a skilled overseas worker for a temporary or permanent visa (with the exception of Labour Agreements) must have the occupation listed on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL).  Where an occupation is not listed on the CSOL, eligible employers may wish to consider a Labour Agreement.

Unlike General Skilled Migration visas, skilled migrants applying for employer sponsored visas are not points tested. All prospective employees must however meet the skill and requirements of the relevant employer sponsored visa program to be eligible to apply for a visa.

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
    • This is a permanent visa based on your skills. If you meet the points-test and have competent English, you may be eligible for this visa.
  • Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
    • This is a permanent visa based on your skills and a nomination from an Australian state or territory.
    • If you meet the points-test, have competent English and are nominated by a state or territory government – you may be eligible.
    • Each state/territory has their own skilled list and requirements for sponsorship, so you will need to check these before preparing your application.
  • Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
    • If you are skilled worker, have an approved sponsor and meet other criteria including English and skills, you may be eligible.
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
    • This is a permanent visa and requires you to have a permanent employment opportunity.
    • This is for you if you are skilled worker, have an approved sponsor, are eligible in one of three streams: (i) the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (Subclass 457); or (ii) the Direct Entry Stream; or (iii) the Agreement Stream and meet other criteria.
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)
    • This is a permanent visa based on employment in a regional area. You will need to commit at least 2 years to your nominating employer.
    • This is for you if you are skilled worker, have an approved sponsor in a regional area of Australia, and are eligible in one of three streams: (i) the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (Subclass 457); or (ii) the Direct Entry Stream; or (iii) the Agreement Stream and meet other criteria

General Skilled Migration Visas

The General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa program is for people who are not sponsored by an employer and have skills in particular occupations required in Australia.

Applicants must have an occupation listed on one of the following Australian Government occupation lists:

  • Skilled Occupation List (if not sponsored by an eligible relative or nominated by a State or Territory Government)
  • Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (if nominated by a State or Territory Government or sponsored by an eligible relative)

and satisfy a points test as part of the visa application requirements.

Overseas workers who have a visa awarded under the GSM program can work in Australia on a permanent basis, or in some circumstances, on a temporary basis until the requirements for permanent residency are met.

Visa options

The GSM program has different options for obtaining a skilled visa. A number of visa categories with individual requirements and obligations are included within each option. The options include:

  • Skilled Independent visas - for skilled workers who do not require sponsorship or nomination by a state/territory government, employer or family member
  • Skilled Nominated visas - (or sponsored visas) for skilled workers who are nominated by a state/territory government or sponsored by an eligible family member. 

Prospective migrants may be eligible for more than one visa category.

Points test

Most GSM visas are points tested. Prospective migrants must meet the minimum points test before they can apply for, or be invited to apply for, a visa.

The points test is the mechanism used by the Commonwealth Government to help select the skilled migrants who offer the most economic benefit to Australia.


SkillSelect was introduced by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on 1 July 2012. Skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia on a skilled visa must now submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.

SkillSelect ranks and invites intending migrants to lodge a visa application. Employers and state/territory governments are also able to review EOIs via SkillSelect and find candidates that they wish to sponsor or nominate.


Family Migration

The more common categories in this group include:  

1. Parent Migration

This category is available to parents who have the majority of their children permanently resident in Australia as Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Residents, and satisfy health and character requirements. Applicants may apply under either the contributory parent visa category which requires a significant payment to be made and by doing so expedites the processing of the application or the normal parent category which currently takes many years to be processed.

2. Spouse, De Facto Spouse or Interdependent category

Under this category applicants must be sponsored by an Australian permanent resident or citizen who is their spouse, de facto spouse or interdependent partner. To qualify as a de facto spouse applicants must have been living together with the sponsoring spouse in a mutually exclusive relationship for a minimum of 12 months.

3. Remaining Relative

Applicants under this category must be the last member of their immediate family who is not an Australian permanent resident or citizen and not living in Australia. If the applicant is married their spouse must also meet the requirements.  Currently there is a long delay in the processing of this visa category.

Apart from the criteria associated with each of the above categories applicants in all cases must meet medical requirements as well as police clearances.